L-1B Visas



If you are an American employer looking to transfer a professional employee with specialized knowledge related to your organization’s interests from a foreign office to a domestic office, the L-1B family of employment visas may be a valuable option to consider. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants L-1B visas to eligible organizations who have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company and who are currently, or plan to be, doing business as an employer in the U.S. and at least one other country during the beneficiary’s stay.

Like any other immigration-related matter, petitioning for L-1B visa status can be a complex ordeal and can be difficult to navigate successfully without the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney. At USILAW, our immigration lawyers are passionate about helping businesses and professionals achieve their goals through premier-quality immigration advocacy. With customized, one-on-one involvement and a dedication to helping you pursue your objectives, we can provide the steadfast guidance you need to maximize your chances of success.


L-1B visas are only offered to employees who:
The USCIS defines “specialized knowledge” as any knowledge possessed by an individual related to the petitioning organization’s products, services, research, techniques, management, equipment, or any other interests pertaining to the company’s business activities in international markets. If approved, L-1B employees may stay for a maximum initial stay of one year, with the possibility of two year extensions being granted up to a maximum of five years. L-1B employees must also be primarily controlled or supervised by their employer and may not provide work to be considered “labor for hire” for an unaffiliated employer.


L-1B visas are very similar to L-1A visas in that they both allow employers to transfer foreign employees to the United States. With that being said, their purpose, requirements, validity period, and eligibility for permanent residency are vastly different. L-1A visa holders are eligible to extend their stay to a longer seven-year maximum and may petition for a Green Card under the EB-1 category, whereas L-1B visa holders must pursue labor certification under category EB-2 or EB-3 before they are able to apply for permanent residency. Neither L-1A nor L-1B require authorization from the Department of Labor, since both types require specialized workers.


In many cases, the success of an organization’s L-1B application will be heavily based on their ability to accurately communicate their chosen employee’s expertise in their given field. At USILAW, our immigration lawyers understand the various laws and regulations that will impact the outcome of your case and can provide the strong counsel you need to navigate through the legal system. With years of experience and 24-hour live support Monday through Friday, you can trust us to handle your immigration case with the care and professionalism it deserves.

Our Customers Provide
The Best Testament

Read More
Great working with USILAW & Team, very Professional & detailed oriented. Have been working with them from past 2 years and have received great support and guidance throughout the process from Maria & Jennifer. Will recommend it for anyone
Read More
USILAW is a top quality immigration law firm. As a business owner I have dealt with other law firms but no one comes close to USILAW's professionalism, efficiency & ethics.
Read More
Excellent, Professional organization. Very responsive and dependable firm

For assistance, contact our immigration lawyers and legal staff today.